Saturday 19 July 2014

My Old Gardening Shirt


It used to be a smart long sleeved shirt blouse, and I wore it until the collar and cuffs frayed. Then I cut off the collar and sleeves and used it as a gardening shirt.



The other day I noticed that it had worn so thin that it might disintegrate next time I wore it, which could be embarrassing.



What I particularly like about the shirt is that none of the seams gave out - they lasted longer than the actual fabric.  The side seams are French seams...



... and the yoke is double layered, and held firm with a double row of stitching.



This is why it has lasted so long and was so comfortable to wear.  It was made in India of 100% cotton, using straight stitch machines.  In the1970s, 80s and early 90s I always used to look for cotton blouses and shirts made in India because I knew that they would last.  This shirt is roughly the same age as my son, who is 25.

For the past few weeks I have been thinking of making another pattern for a sleeveless summer shirt. I intended doing some serious pattern drafting and making a toile in muslin.  Then I realised that I had been wearing the ideal toile - this old shirt, which I know is a comfortable fit. This afternoon I have cut it up to make another home made pattern

Welcome to Kathi of Run n Stitch, the latest follower - thank you for joining!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...