Saturday 20 April 2013

1949 Singer 15K Hand Machine


This is the machine I am using at the moment to assemble the quilted blocks shown in yesterday's post.  It is the Singer 15K that I cleaned up a little while ago.



The metal parts on the outside of the machine are in wonderful condition, but the inside was pretty mucky.


The rear inspection plate gave a nice self-portrait photo opportunity.

The machine is a lovely smooth runner.  We had a very brief contretemps at the beginning, but that's all behind us now.

Welcome to Ginger B, the latest follower.  Thank you for joining!

5 comments:

  1. I want to turn a Spartan I bought into a hand rank. I have all the parts. Any recommendations on how to sew with a hand crank?
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda,

      You need to get used to using only your left hand to guide the material. I suggest you practise first on your favourite machine, go as slowly as possible, and sit on your right hand. Watch my Youtube videos and study the position of my left hand when sewing. Once you start using a hand machine you can go as slowly as you like so you can get used to it. It's not hard. Hand machines would never have caught on if sewing with them were difficult.

      Love,
      Muv

      Delete
  2. I have a question, I've heard of a 99k but not a 15k, what does the k stand for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Missy Shay,

      The K stands for Kilbowie, which is where the Singer factory was in Glasgow, so the K is put after the model number if the machine was manufactured in Scotland.

      Love,
      Muv

      Delete
  3. Hello Muv
    I like your 15! I was interested to spot the black balance wheel. A reminder of the shortage of nickel here for bright plating during post-war austerity?

    Hugs
    G

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...