Thursday 20 December 2012

Not Every Machine Will Shine..


..but this one did.  

This is my Vickers Vibrating Shuttle machine.  It needed a good clean and polish when I got it, and ended up looking beautiful.  The metal really shines, unlike the Frister and Rossmann, which will remain forever dull, however much it is polished.  The Vickers, however has an ill-fitting back slide plate - which just goes to show that all these old machines have their quirks.  Often a battered machine turns out to be a brilliant runner, so it gets used and battered a bit more, whereas a well preserved machine hasn't been used much because it had an irritating feature, like a plate that didn't fit properly.



Either way, there is no better way to get to know your machine than by giving it the full treatment.

Here is Part 2 of yesterday's Youtube epic.

4 comments:

  1. Lizzie! Thank you so much for your YouTube videos. I learned so much from you! Especially the bit about the crochet thread and metal polish. Now I can do a better job getting to all the nooks and crannies. I have the same model as the machine you demonstrated on. My serial number is 12.530.361 which dates it to 1895. Your voice is lovely. Thank you again for taking time to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Allison,

    So glad you have enjoyed the videos. I hope your machine now looks lovelier than you ever imagined!

    I no longer have the machine in the video - it went to a new home.

    I've still got the voice, though. Very handy for yelling from one end of the house to the other.

    Love,
    Muv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely spot on comment, Muv. All my treadles run differently and my oldest, dullest machine is the best head. Her cabinet is the best treadler. I loved this article, all your articles. I have been thinking of selling all my treadles bar one as have I a back injury. Your blog, which I found today, is making me think twice. Best wishes to you from Down Under - Penne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Penne,
      Lovely to hear from a fellow treadler! I have the impression that there are some interesting machines around in Australia.
      Parting with machines can be difficult. I have some hand machines that I should get rid of.
      Sorry to hear about your back. Treadling and back pain can be a really bad combination.
      Love, Muv

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...