Thursday 31 August 2017

Free Motion Mavericks - Week 151 - Elephants Cradle Quilt


Flowery elephants called to me when I was shopping a few weeks ago.  I couldn't resist this fabric.  It came in several different colour combinations, but this is the only version I felt I could happily play with.  



The background is a curious shade of not-quite-yellow.  I'm not really sure what I should call it, and I thought it might jar with the paler colours I wanted to use, but once I got home and started trying it against the other fabrics I realised how versatile this design is.



The pink elephant would have settled in perfectly well with a pinky purply girlie combination of colours...



...but this time I went with the blue.  And the spots.



Even the wheels on the trains carry on the spotty theme.  The other theme is tiny checks...



 ...with absolutely miniscule squares on the binding...



...and calming restful beige for the backing.

It was great fun getting back to quilting again after such a long break.  It made me glad that the hot weather is well and truly over.  Am I allowed to say that?  I think I am.  Treadling in a heat wave isn't for the faint hearted.


Here goes for Week 151.

If you love free motion quilting, whether you are a beginner just taking the plunge, or you have reached the stage where you can do ostrich feathers with your eyes shut and still achieve perfect symmetry, then please link up.

Remember, FMQ is FMQ, whether your machine was made last week, or it is older than your granny.

Here are the very easy and slightly elastic rules:-

1.  Link up with any recent post, ideally from the last week but within the last month, which features a free motion quilting project, whether it is a work in progress or a finish.

2.  Link back to this post in your own post and/or grab the linky button for your blog's sidebar.
  
3.  Visit as many of the other participants as possible and say hello in the comments box.

4.  The link up will remain open for four days, from midnight to midnight GMT for the long weekend, Friday to Monday.

So far quilters from the USA, England, Wales, Australia, Canada, Germany, Holland, New Zealand, France, Macau, Russia, Ireland and Brazil have taken part.  The first participant from each new country will get a special mention the following week.


Linking up with Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday.
and Michelle's Romantic Tangle for Let's Make Baby Quilts
and Amanda Jean's blog Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday

9 comments:

  1. What a great quilt! I love elephants, and my mother collects them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl! A house full of elephants - what a laugh.

      Delete
  2. Super cute elephant fabric. You did a great job with the dots and checks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those elephants are adorable - I love their expressions and it makes for such a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Muv,
    I love those friendly looking elephants. I can see why they spoke to you - take me home and play with me! I don't know which I love more in your pairings - the dots or checks. I love them all. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally understand why you needed that elephant fabric. How cute are their little smiles? Great baby quilt...does it have a recipient, or do you keep a few in your stash for future gifting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Louise. This quilt is being stashed for the moment. Sooner or later it will find its way to a baby.

      Delete
  6. I also lived with someone who collected elephants many long years ago! And I have an elephant fabric I had to have, now just waiting for the right baby quilt. Lovely quilt, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...