Thursday 19 November 2015

Free Motion Mavericks - Week 70 - Union Jacks and Pink


It was time for a hefty dose of pink this week, after having made so many quilts for baby boys in recent months.  This cradle quilt measures just a fraction less than 27 inches square, and was very quick to make.  The top was pieced on Monday, the quilting done on Tuesday, and the binding put on on Wednesday.



After banning myself from using anything pink or with flowers in the boy quilts, I was all of a quiver when I was working with these daisies.



The Union Jack fabric in the centre isn't short of pink, either.



I decided that hearts had to be a theme...



...so there is a line of hearts running along the binding.



Meanwhile, on the back, there are rabbits with pink ears and pink ribbons.  How girly can you get?


blogbutton photo peacockfmq025_zpse5bceb10.jpg


Here goes for week 70...

The project in Week 69 that really caught my eye was Cynthia's bold red and grey quilt, made using scraps.  She used a wiggly swirl for the FMQ pattern - I must try it some time!   If you haven't seen her blog post yet, nip over now and see more photos.




If you love free motion quilting, whether you are a beginner just taking the plunge, or you have reached the stage where you can do ostrich feathers with your eyes shut and still achieve perfect symmetry, then please link up.

Remember, FMQ is FMQ, whether your machine was made last week, or it is older than your granny.

Here are the very easy and slightly elastic rules:-

1.  Link up with any recent post, ideally from the last week but within the last month, which features a free motion quilting project, whether it is a work in progress or a finish.

2.  Link back to this post in your own post and/or grab the linky button for your blog's sidebar.
  
3.  Visit as many of the other participants as possible and say hello in the comments box.

4.  The link up will remain open for four days, from midnight to midnight GMT for the long weekend, Friday to Monday.

So far quilters from the USA, England, Wales, Australia, Canada, Germany, Holland, New Zealand, France and Macau have taken part.  The first participant from each new country will get a special mention the following week.


Linking up with Kelly's blog My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday
and Michelle's Romantic Tangle for Let's Make Baby Quilts
and Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday
and Amanda Jean's blog Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Well Alison, I couldn't help thinking of you when I was putting this quilt together.

      The bunnies are beyond sweet. I bought enough of this fabric to back a few little quilts. If I hurry up I might get some more before it sells out...

      Delete
  2. That's a very sweet quilt, I especially like the binding! I'm a hand quilter so won't be linking up, but love to see what everyone is up to :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephie! I struck lucky with the binding fabric because I had hardly any left.

      Delete
  3. I think it's the first time that I'm seeing Union Jacks coordinated with pink... And I like it. You've mixed the colors and motifs quite beautifully. All those daisies and hearts and stars are an excellent match to the bunny fabric. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks France! The Union Jack is such a bold design, and I originally got this material when I was collecting pieces to make little boy quilts, but the more I looked at it the more I realised that it would look best with pink.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...