Thursday 9 April 2015

Free Motion Mavericks - Week 39 - Pink Cradle Quilt


Finished today, the pink version of the red and cream crib quilt.  It is the same size, same piecing scheme, but there are a few differences apart from the colours.


Instead of just leaves and swirls, this time there are a few berries thrown in for a bit of variety.


Also, to prevent the seams of the little squares bumping up, I started by putting a straight line of quilting down each side before getting started with the free motion quilting.  The whole quilt lies a little flatter, which is what I wanted.


The free motion swirls that fit into the squares are the same way up as the swirls in the pink panels. On the red and cream quilt I managed to get the swirls upside down by mistake, but it was one of those mistakes that nobody else would notice unless I told them, which is why I have waited until now to own up.

I wish I could say that this quilt had been plain sailing.  There were so many stops and starts that I felt that I had slightly lost my thread, and the binding took twice as long as it should have done - it just didn't want to fold over neatly.  It was one of those irksome sewing days today, but fried up left over spuds and a fried egg for a late lunch made it all seem all right in the end.

blogbutton photo peacockfmq025_zpse5bceb10.jpg



Here goes for week 39...

Many thanks Julie, Maartje, Hilary, Gwyned, Sophie, Alison, Lyn, Claire and Quilt Musings for linking up last time.

If you love free motion quilting, whether you are a beginner just taking the plunge, or you have reached the stage where you can do ostrich feathers with your eyes shut and still achieve perfect symmetry, then please link up.

Remember, FMQ is FMQ, whether your machine was made last week, or it is older than your granny.

Here are the very easy and slightly elastic rules:-

1.  Link up with any recent post, ideally from the last week but within the last month, which features a free motion quilting project, whether it is a work in progress or a finish.

2.  Link back to this post in your own post and/or grab the linky button for your blog's sidebar.
  
3.  Visit as many of the other participants as possible and say hello in the comments box.

4.  The link up will remain open for four days, from midnight to midnight GMT for the long weekend, Friday to Monday.

So far quilters from USA, England, Wales, Australia, Canada, Germany, Holland, New Zealand, France and Macau have taken part.  The first participant from each new country will get a special mention the following week.

Linking up with Kelly's blog My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday
and Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday
and Amanda Jean's blog Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday.

11 comments:

  1. That's a very sweet crib quilt. I love that quilting motif as well, especially the leaves. I have not seen any like that before. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work convinces me of the importance of working in series. It seems you learn from each crib quilt, solving any glitches from the one before and going tweaking your FMQ motif to more and more complex designs. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwyned! I love doing variations. The next one will be yellow.

      Delete
  3. those added berries are so cute. and your curves are really beautiful! i look forward to such nice curves in my fmq someday. after more practice, i'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Muv,

    Well, knock me over with a feather...I thought I was 'over' the color pink (due to many years of wearing it in my youth), but as it turns out I'm not! I love this warm delicate shade, and you've picked the perfect thread for the beautiful free-motion stitching. Super-lovely.

    Thanks for the idea of stitching a line beside the seam before starting your free-motion...makes total sense to flatten the area beforehand.

    Between your blog post and Sarah Craig's, I'm feeling like doing a second bed quilt for my new granddaughter!

    Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too late, Linda! This quilt is tiny, you could knock one up in a week. Then Lucy could have a quilt for her crib (ie cradle) now, and when she is bigger she has a toddler sized lap quilt.

      Pink... it can be hit and miss, I know. I try aim for raspberries or peaches rather than strawberries. The dark squares in this one put it firmly in raspberry territory.

      Love, Muv

      Delete
  5. I love this version too! So sweet looking. And I love the addition of the berries. Your quilting motif would make a beautiful embroidery.
    Thank you for the tip about sewing two straight lines along little square to keep them flat. I will keep this in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sweet quilt. And all that room for great quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful. Your quilting really enhances it. Maybe this week I can get back to FMQ. The hold up is sandwiching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilts is beautiful. I'm not a fan of pink but on this quilt the pink is so understated and sohisticated that I could easily lived with it. Your quilting is fabulous. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...