Thursday 7 August 2014

Free Motion Mavericks - Week 10 - A Present for Bonnie!




It has been a busy week, so I shall tell it mainly in pictures... another project with the free motion quilting done on the 1945 Singer 15K treadle, and all the rest of the stitching done on the 1949 Singer 15K hand machine.

Last week's fancy leaves were such fun to do that I dived into my mini-stash of Oakshott cottons and varied the design, this time combining the leaves with berries.  



Here is the back of the panel, which shall never see the light of day again, so the few tails left hanging don't matter.



Three different variegated threads were used against the different background colours.



I took the opportunity to make a test video, using a mini tripod on the table.  In the past the focus has kept shifting if I move my hands in the foreground, but this time I zoomed in on the action, and I think the result is better than previous attempts.



The quilted panel was enough to make two identical tea cosies, made using the same method I have shown before, lined with thermal curtain lining.  Here is the one that has stayed at home with me.




First I tried the cosy out with bold colours and everyday crockery.  Peach for the tablecloth with a lime green mug isn't my usual style, but somehow the colours of the cotton lend themselves to taking risks with clashes and getting away with it.  Also, don't ask me how a Canadian Coastguard sugar bowl found its way into a local charity shop.  I expect someone nicked it years ago.


Next I tried it with the posh crocks, and decided it teamed up quite well with the Royal Doulton too.




I love this bird doing a plunge into the teacup.

This tea cosy's twin was specially gift-wrapped and given to its new owner last night.



Dawn, Brenda, Bonnie, Julia and me

There she is in the middle - Bonnie Hunter out with the girls on her last night in Bath.  It was a very cosy and noisy affair, and the very sweet waitress (from North Carolina, would you believe, just about 12 miles from Bonnie) was a great sport and took photos for us.

It was such a pleasure meeting Bonnie.  A few years back I would stay up till silly times of the morning studying all her wonderful piecing methods. Thank you Bonnie! Then as time went on we were acquiring some very similar vintage machines.   It was a delight having such a good night out with her, hearing how much she is enjoying being in England, meeting three new friends, and giving Bonnie a souvenir to take home.

                                                       blogbutton photo peacockfmq025_zpse5bceb10.jpg

So here goes for week 10...

Firstly, many thanks to Esther, Gwyned, Cynthia, Myra and Dora for linking up last week - another wonderful collection of projects!

If you love free motion quilting, whether you are a beginner just taking the plunge, or you have reached the stage where you can do ostrich feathers with your eyes shut and still achieve perfect symmetry, then please link up.

Remember, FMQ is FMQ, whether your machine was made last week, or it is older than your granny.

Here are the very easy and slightly elastic rules:-

1.  Link up with any recent post, ideally from the last week but within the last month, which features a free motion quilting project.

2.  Link back to this post in your own post and/or grab the linky button for your blog's sidebar.
  .
3.  Visit as many of the other participants as possible and say hello in the comments box.

4.  The link up will remain open for four days, from midnight to midnight GMT for the long weekend, Friday to Monday.

So far bloggers from USA, England, Wales, Australia, Canada, Germany and Holland have taken part.  The first participant from each new country will get a special mention the following week!

Linking up with Kelly's blog My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday
and Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday

25 comments:

  1. What a great cover. I need to make one for my sewing machine, I will put a loop on it like yours. I love your variegated thread. nice finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it!

      Have you seen the sewing machine cover I made a while ago? It might give you a few ideas
      http://lizzielenard-vintagesewing.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/making-sewing-machine-cover-stage-4.html

      Love, Muv

      Delete
  2. Just watched the video and I think the focus seems to be more on your hands and not the stitching - just my thoughts. Enjoying seeing the free motion though - just tried my hand at it a couple of days ago - but on an Elna Diva from 1992 - and finding it is already getting so additive! Getting great results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for watching the video. think the only way to cure the shifting focus is get a better camera. It takes great stills, but videos can be hit and miss.

      Glad to hear that you are getting hooked on FMQ. You will have to take some photos and link up here...

      Delete
  3. What a neat looking tea cozy! I still cannot believe you get those great quilting stitches while pumping away with your feet. Guess it just takes practice. OK, I need to get my treadle out and oiled up so I can use it. I have a really cute pattern for a tea cozy that has three women on it, front and back. I think one of them at least has 3-D hair ..... maybe a braid if I remember right. (I recently moved into my new sewing room and don't know where anything it at the moment. Ugh!)
    I couldn't believe when I saw the photo of you with Bonnie Hunter. She lives just a wee bit southwest of me in North Carolina! How great that you got to meet up with her. I too enjoy and learn so much from her blog but then I do the same with yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen!

      Get the treadle going, you will have hours of pleasure, but don't try FMQ on it if it is not a suitable model. See this post:-
      http://lizzielenard-vintagesewing.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/the-best-vintage-machine-for-free.html

      It was a great night out with Bonnie - so much laughter.

      Delete
    2. I forgot to ask, which of those lovely ladies is you? Maybe you are keeping that a secret so you can walk about incognito? I was guessing that you might be one of the ladies on either end but don't even know why I chose them.
      I read the post you suggested and oh no, I don't think I have a 15; at least I don't think so! I actually have two treadles but one is a Pfaff 30 if I remember right. Not sure what the Singer is but once I can get to it, I will check it out. Hope it will work for quilting as I am so inspired by your work and I just love the sound of those old machines. I do have a Singer 15-91 but of course it is electric. However, the feed dogs do drop so it is suppose to be good for quilting. My husband bought it for me this past February even though I don't have room for it. It came with a bunch of attachments such as a sock darner (when will I ever do that?!?!), zig zagger, blind hemmer, etc. Still, what a nice gift!

      Delete
    3. Well Karen, it was a special occasion, so for the first time ever I have put a photo of myself on the blog. I've put a caption on the photo, I'm on the right.

      Pfaff 30? A quick bit of online research leads me to think you could be in business! If it has the bobbin case like the Singer15's, then you have the right type of stitch formation. Also, if the feed dogs drop it will be even easier. Have a look at this link:-
      http://needlebar.org/cm/displayimage.php?album=190&pid=3028#top_display_media

      But you already have an electric Singer 15 - there should be no stopping you! Pour your husband a beer. He deserves it.

      Delete
    4. I didn't think I had ever seen a photo of you! And I am patting myself on the back because when I first looked at the photo, I picked you out right away. Do I know why? No but I watch a lot of British mysteries and I thought the woman on the right looked English. What does an English person look like? I have no idea but I made the right choice so I am sticking with my instincts. So now if anyone reads through all these comments on this post, they will know what you look like. Sorry to "out" you like that! hehehe

      Thanks for the link. As soon as I can uncover the Pfaff and have a look, I will know better what I have.

      I think the 15-91 (it's dated 1945) will need some rewiring before using extensively although it certainly runs now. Just don't want to zap myself while sewing. (Sorry but my husband doesn't drink beer but he does love soft ice cream from our local Dairy Queen so maybe that will do. Ha!) And I still want to give the treadle(s) a try. Oh and I have other machines (three that are more modern, others that are not) but I just think quilting on a treadle could be so nifty and maybe nostalgic too? We will see.

      By the way, do you live in Bath since that is where you appear to have met up with Bonnie Hunter? I was there many years ago and found it to be very interesting what with all the ancient history that is there to see. The Romans were such terrific inventors, builders, architects.

      Well, sorry to have carried on so much. Looking forward to your next post to see what you make or quilt.

      Delete
    5. Hello again Karen -
      Bonnie is the only American in the picture. Brenda is Canadian, and Dawn, Julia and I are all English. I live just over 20 miles from Bath.

      Delete
  4. All linked up, Muv. Your tea cozy is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Lovely to see you here, Barbara.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely tea cosy - I resort to the microwave when the tea isn't hot enough (but slightly dislike doing it!) This would be the answer. Looks like you had a great time with Bonnie in Bath - lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kaja! Yes, I commit the microwave sin too. It does no favours to the flavour, though.

      Delete
  6. Love your quilting and that it is done on treadle! I learned to sew on a treadle, but alas, it is long gone.I do my quilting on a Featherweight at the moment. I linked up a post slightly older than a month--I've been on vacation and slowly getting back to sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire.
      It's interesting seeing how many people miss treadles that they have used in the past. A Featherweight is much easier to shift around, so perhaps you shouldn't weep for the treadle too much.

      Delete
  7. Finally a lovely photo of the elusive Muv. By the way, for us Yanks, how is that pronounced? Does it rhyme with love or move or something else?

    So fun to see you in a photo with Bonnie Hunter. She is one of my quilt mavens and recently I was lucky enough to take a workshop with her. Fabulous teacher and a lot of fun. Your tea cozy is grand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Ellen!

      Muv rhymes with love. It's what the kids call me instead of mum, and my husband is Farve. That's why the Youtube channel started out as Muvandfarve.

      Yes, Bonnie is a treat to meet.

      Love, Muv

      Delete
  8. Your free motion quilting is absolutely beautiful. I really have to try it one day. I am still trying to build up my "made by me" wardrobe, but as soon as I have that under control. I definitely have to dabble in a little quilting ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joe,

      No reason why you shouldn't try a bit of quilting alongside your usual sewing. You will soon find your own approach.

      Love, Muv

      Delete
  9. As always, your stitching just floors me...and the tea cozy is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And by the way, it's also wonderful to see your lovely face at last!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I knew that sooner or later there would be a photo I couldn't duck out of.

      Delete
  11. Hi Muv, how exciting meeting Bonnie Hunter in Bath! I really love your tea cozy. Your FMQ is stunning and it looks so good with the Royal Dalton. I hope that you're still using it :-) Take care and thanks for linking up to the 300th party. I'm so happy to be a part of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrée! It was definitely a day to remember.
      Thank you for being a wonderful hostess!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...