Friday, 4 October 2013
Free Motion Rosehips
While walking along the front path yesterday I snagged my sleeve on a rose thorn. It was slightly annoying, but I'm glad I did. I changed my plans for free motion quilting and decided to try rosehips.
Here are some sample hips from the offending bush. In fact, bush is too grand a word. It is a messy wild rose that has grown from the root stock of a garden rose that we yanked out years ago - because we kept getting caught on thorns as we walked up the path.
And here is the free motion quilting that I have just finished this afternoon, based on the wild rose. It is another fat quarter sized panel that has been quilted on the Singer 15K treadle.
Here are some of the hips...
... and a few leaves. I particularly enjoyed doing the thorns.
Making sure the quilting was reasonably evenly spaced was a tussle at times, and I had to take a few botanical liberties. Also I was not sure I was being very consistent with the size of the leaves, because I started yesterday and finished today. There again, the scruffy rose bush outside isn't exactly consistent, so perhaps I am being botanically accurate after all.
I rather enjoyed doing this pattern. It took my mind off the fact I have been feeling like a lump of rubbish thanks to a wretched virus.
Welcome to the latest follower, Joma - thank you for joining!
Linking up today with Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday - lots of other projects to see there...
And also to Leah Day's blog for Free Motion Friday.