Monday 21 October 2013

A 1905 Postcard


This photograph is on a postcard which I bought at an antiques market recently.  It still has the stamp on the back, with Edward VII on it, and the postmark is July 15th 1905.  The anonymous garden fence and the chair could just as easily be now, but the child!  How long was it before that beautiful fine white cotton dress and bonnet got grubby?

The more I look at this picture the more convinced I am that it is a little boy - there is something about the boisterousness, and the beefy fat face.  Also, I have seen shoes like that on Lindaroo's blog, and they had been worn by her father.

This picture now lives in my sewing room.  I enjoy having a cheerful little face looking at me.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, thanks Muv, for linking me to this charming photo! Isn't it interesting that children used to be dressed up like that, girl or boy, and so much white fabric! I have a photo of my grandfather, dated 1906, in his ruffles-and-lace trimmed christening gown that hangs to the floor below his mother's arms. That's as an infant, though. Imagine an active toddler dressed like the one above!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed this photo, Lindaroo. I thought of your father's little shoes as soon as I looked at this little poppet's feet.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...