Thursday 6 June 2013

Shortening a Treadle Belt


I tried to stop the treadle belt slipping, but I still couldn't get up to full speed on my Singer 201K.  It ran well for a while, then slowly but surely, the belt started slipping again. 

The problem has now been solved.  My bro in law has been staying with us and he fixed it in about five minutes.  He had a pair of pliers ready to open the metal staple that joins the belt, so he could cut the belt down by about half an inch.  He had the awl ready to make a new hole in the leather. My contribution to the whole operation was to put the clothes pegs over the belt to stop it dropping through underneath as soon as it was cut.  Then I disappeared out of the house and left him to it. When I came home later the belt was fixed and turning the machine beautifully.  No more slipping!

4 comments:

  1. Why is it all the best idea's are the simple ones. For me it used to be wrap belt round wheel lock wheel with knee, pull belt round machine, cut to length using 3rd and sometimes 4th hand. All fall's apart start again. Now 2 pegs please simple. Great tea pots. I do like the first one of the 3. Love Dunan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Duncan,

      It's Helen Howes you need to thank for that pearl of practical wisdom.

      Glad you like the teapots. Too many tea breaks and not enough sewing, that's my problem.

      Love,
      Muv

      Delete
  2. My wife is an avid quilter and I have responded by finding old machines, currently a Singer 128 and yesterday a Singer 27. I have enjoyed your videos regarding servicing these old machines. Is there a single compendium start to finish and is is practical to completely disassemble the head? Are special tools required? Thanks, Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joe,

      Glad to hear you have enjoyed the videos.

      My approach is to steer well clear of machines that need a major overhaul and stick to ones that need not much more than a thorough cleaning and oiling.

      Have a scan through Duncan's videos (nice chap, met him once a few years ago)because he is prepared to take more drastic action than I do.

      https://www.youtube.com/user/duncan6447/videos

      All the best,
      Muv

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...